Parent Governor Election
NOTICE OF ELECTION OF PARENT GOVERNOR
Dear Parent or Guardian,
I am writing to let you know that there is a vacancy for a Parent Governor on the governing board of St Nicolas Church of England Junior School, and to invite parents who wish to stand for election as a Parent Governor to put their names forward. Our governing board has three core functions. These are:
1. Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
2. Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
3. Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
We do this in meetings which we hold every half term. As governors we regularly check we have the right skills to do the job and welcome applicants who have a willingness to attend the right training to acquire them. We offer induction training and governor skills training free of charge. There is also a policy in place for governors’ allowances and expenses which can be viewed on the school website. It would be desirable to have some daytime availability for visits into school. Applicants need to be aware of the level of commitment involved in this role with all governors expected to attend full board meetings and belong to a committee also meeting once every half term.
The term of office of all governors is four years, but you can resign at any time. Every school governor must undertake a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check. If you wish to stand for election as a Parent Governor you should:
1. Complete the attached nomination form.
2. Insert a brief personal election statement for circulation to voters.
3. Return the form to the school clearly addressed to The Returning Officer by the stated closing date and time.
Nominations forms must be received by 10am on Monday 3rd May 2021. No nominations will be accepted after that date and time.
If the number of nominations received does not exceed the number of vacancies, all those nominated will be appointed without a ballot (subject to a satisfactory declaration). If there are more nominations than vacancies, a secret ballot will be held and each parent will be issued with a voting paper via pupil post. If you would prefer to receive the voting paper by post, please complete the slip through the link in the PDF version of this letter.
The following timetable will apply, if it is necessary to hold a ballot:
- Nomination forms sent out via email on Monday 26th April 2021
- Last day for returning nominations is 10am on Monday 3rd May 2021
- Ballot paper dispatched to parents (along with candidates’ election statements if appropriate) Tuesday 4th May 2021
- Ballot closes 10am on Tuesday 11th May 2021
- Count of ballot papers and parents notified of the result Friday 14th May 2021
Returning Officer and Clerk to the Governing Board